Tuesday, May 3, 2016

When My Heart is Overwhelmed

"From the end of the earth will I cry unto Thee, 
when my heart is overwhelmed: 
lead me to The Rock that is higher than I." 
- Psalm 61:2
.

I've been feeling very overwhelmed lately. Anticipating the birth of our daughter, Maggie, having our home on the market and keeping it in tip top shape 24/7, searching for a new home, dealing with realtors, banks and home inspectors, wading through my grief and the struggle in my heart, searching for God in all of this pain, trying to come to terms with our new life, life without Mom, and somehow still trying to manage day to day tasks, taking care of the kids, and having something left to give my husband at the end of the day. I've been feeling very depleted, and exhausted. Mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually exhausted. 

The truth is, I'm not able to handle any of this on my own, and it's when I try to do it all within my own power that I begin to feel overwhelmed. 

The Psalmist, David, is a good example for us here, when we are trying to fix life on our own, and feeling so much pain. David knew that God was with him everywhere he went, was his defender, his protector, his provision, his comfort, his peace, and his friend. David not only knew that God was all of these things and more, but he also remembered to call on God, and include Him in his agony. David knew where to go when he needed help, was obedient to call out to God, express his need, and wait for God to deliver him. 

Those three key words: remembering God, including God, and waiting for God are so very important for the Christian, as we try to grow in our LORD, and keep our focus on Him through the trials of life that come our way. 

So often, we try to fix things within our own power, convincing ourselves that we are in control, and have the answers we need. As sinful humans, we act within our own means, rebelling against the need for a Father God who is in control. We want to do it ourselves, but one of the key lifestyle changes for a Christian, is submission. We have to acknowledge that God is the One who is in control, and in the middle of our trial, we have to remember   God, and the true role that He has in our lives. We can't try to do things on our own, and still keep God where He is supposed to be. We must submit fully, and remember God. 

It's in the remembering who God is, that we are able to see our need for Him, and our need to include Him in our pain. We have to come to a place where we recognize that we cannot accomplish anything on our own, and ask God for help. He wants us to call upon His name, He wants us to trust Him with our situation, and ask Him for help. He wants to be included in our plans, in our hurts, in our sorrows, and also in our joys. 

And once we do that, once we invite God into the dark places of our lives, we are able to fall on Him, His strength, His power, His provision, His love, His tenderness, His mercy, His divine plan, and we are able to lay all of our burdens down, and wait for God to act. He will deliver us every time, but some trials last longer than others, and sometimes the waiting is also part of God's plan, and how He is refining us. Learning to wait is one of the hardest things we have to do as humans, but God requires our trust, and we must submit to Him. 

Through the trial of losing my Mom, I have to keep God's truth ever before me, or I lose my way. I have to remember these three key words, and return to my Rock of salvation every minute of every day. He will lead me through, when I keep my eyes focused on Him. His ways are higher, His plans are better, all of His ways are good. I can trust Him with my heart, and run to Him when I'm overwhelmed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment