Wednesday, June 15, 2016

My Safe Place

         Psalm 91


Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High

    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
 
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”

Surely he will save you

    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
 
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
 
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
 
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
 
A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
 
You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.

If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”

    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
 
no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
 
For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
 
they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
 
You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;

    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
 
He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
 
With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.

.

My heart has been very fearful and anxious, overwhelmed by the terror and heartbreak in our world. Everyday, I turn on the news, and am blasted with headline after headline describing another scene from hell. Pain and sadness is on every corner, heard from every end of the Earth, there's no where to go to be safe, no refuge to be found. 

How do I raise my children in a world like this? How do I let them out of my sight? How do I trust a school to keep them safe, a bus driver, a family friend? And even in my own presence, I'm all too aware that toddlers have a mind of their own, and swift little legs that carry them off in a blink of an eye. I have to face even my own limitations, and these thoughts swirl through my mind, and I'm left crouching in the corner, clinging to my babies, afraid of everything and everyone. 

Where can I go with this fear, where can I find safety? 

.

As a Christian, and follower of Jesus Christ, I have to reconcile my fear with what God says about being afraid. Unfortunately, for a person like me, who struggles with worry, God is not very lenient. He commands His children to not be afraid, and makes it very clear that to do so, is a sin. 

But how do I just stop worrying? How can I possibly shut off my mind, calm my heart, and cease to worry? It's hard to do, and certainly takes intentional prayer and practice, and even then, fear has a way of creeping in on us. 

Thankfully, for us though, God is not just a stern Father calling out commands. He is also loving and tender, compassionate to us, and patient with us. He knows how hard it is for us to be at peace in our hearts. He knows how much we love our children, and long for their safety and well-being. God knows, because that's how He loves us, with an even fiercer love than we could ever imagine. His love for us is so great, that He never leaves our side, counts the hairs on our heads, bottles our tears, and stoops down to hear our whispers and cries for help. As our Father God, He promises to watch over us, never needing to sleep, protecting us during our days and also during our nights. He is faithful and good, but also powerful and mighty and strong. He can handle anything that comes our way, and tells us not to be afraid. 

It's easier to stop worrying, when we realize how big and strong our God is, but also understand that He is motivated by His love for us. He's not only working to protect us, but He's also working for our good, because He loves us and sees to our well-being. 

.

Psalm 91 brings me so much comfort, reading all of the ways that God promises to be our protector and refuge. As I face this sad world, and all of my fears for my children, I can rest in peace knowing that God is there, tucking us under His wings, and promising to be our safe place. He will shelter us, He will protect us, and He will deliver us. We needn't fear the evil in this world, because our God has overcome, and promises to guard us in all of our ways. 

Facing the fears of tomorrow may be scary, but it's not impossible. God has promised to help us, and to be with us through every step. I'm so thankful I can call out to Him and express my concern, and know that He is listening and acting on my behalf. I can trust my children to His care, knowing His love for them is so great, and I can take courage, knowing my God is mighty and strong, and going before us in all things. 

I can find rest and refuge in my Father God, because He is my safe place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment