Saturday, January 25, 2014

Being Pruned

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." 
John 15: 1 & 2

. . .

I have never been good with plants. But when I moved into Andrew's home last year, I brought with me a whole box of potted plants from Mom's overabundant garden. I knew that the rich greenery would bring cheer and life to our home, and was equally convinced that even though previous attempts had proven to fail, I was now going to be a master gardener and tend to my plants.

I am happy to report that almost a year later, [almost] every plant has survived, and there are even a few yellowish-green leaves on a few of the stalks. Though the plants are still living, it is obvious to anyone that the plants are not thriving.

How did this happen? I transplanted the strong plants into pretty little pots with fresh soil. I placed them in sunny windows on top of quaint doilies, and they had every opportunity to grow and grow to their hearts content.

But see, there was one teeny little problem. Plants don't just need pretty pots to grow in, or sun to thrive, they need water too. And unfortunately, I failed as the master gardener in that department. As it turns out, watering house plants every other month is not enough, and over time, even the healthiest plant will die if not watered and cared for.

I also learned the concept of "snipping", or, plucking from the plant the dead head so that a new bloom can blossom. I always assumed that after the old bloom died, it would just fall off allowing for a new one to grow. But that's not how plants work, they need to be plucked, sometimes even cut back, for new growth to form. Who knew?

I guess master gardeners know, that's who. But come to find out, it takes more than a pot and a will for one to become a master. It also takes know-how, tested knowledge, and a whole lot of dedication. More dedication that I was willing to give, I know that.

. . .

I was reading this scripture passage today, and it hit me in a new way that God is our Master Gardener. Specifically what stuck out at me, is that God 'prunes' us, shapes us, cuts ugly parts away in us, and tends to us so that we can grow into the intended fruit, fit for God's Kingdom.

In this scripture illustration, we, God's people, are plants. We see here a picture of God, walking through His garden, stooping to examine each plant, or each life, and in His infinite wisdom, pruning us for better growth. He snips off the ugly parts, the parts that are dead, He cuts back the stems that need adjusting or reworking, knowing that by doing so, He is better preparing that plant for future beauty. See God is all-knowing, and though current circumstances may look bleak, God can see the finished result, He can see what He's creating, and He says it's "good". (Genesis 1:31)

Webster's defines pruning as: "to cut away what is unwanted". When applied to this illustration, those words seem pretty harsh, and the cutting away and disposing of our unwanted parts hurts. There's really no better way to say it: pruning hurts. "Unwanted"?, really? There are parts of me that God doesn't want? Yes, the sin parts. It's hard for us to hear, and even harder to take when we start to feel the inner tug on our hearts as the work begins, cutting us to the core and exposing parts of us that are ugly. Being exposed and left snipped can be vulnerable and emotionally tough to take, but don't forget the rest of the verse: "He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful."

By trusting our Gardener, we know that in the pruning, or in the pain, God is still good, and so we know He is also providing love and tenderness, and most importantly, hope. God is doing the work in us because He can see the beauty at the end, and He would never do harm to us, His children, because He loves us, and wants what's best for us.

For we know as Christians, that God is working all things out for those who love Him (Romans 8:28), and that He will continue the work in us until we are beautiful and complete (Philippians 1:6). Here is our hope then: though the pruning may hurt, it will only last for a time (Psalm 30:5), and then in the end, we will stand complete before God, not lacking anything (James 1:4).

. . .

I may not be a good gardener, but I'm so thankful my God is! I'm so thankful that He is dedicated to me, and tends to my needs so that I can grow to reflect Him more.

As I turn another year older, I can easily look back on last year and see the pruning that has been done in my own life. At times, it was hard for me to accept that I needed the work done, knowing that my thinking and attitudes needed adjusting. Pruning can be hard on our pride, but all the more reason that we need it.

Though at times I may hurt, I can trust that God's not done working, and that He promises to see me through to completion. And when I'm finally done growing and dying to self, He will be glorified through me. Is there anything better we can desire? Doesn't His glory make our momentary pain worth it?

Looking ahead to a new year, May it be so.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. :) what a year of changes, huh? I'm so excited to see what God will do for you in this new year!

      Delete