Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Cure For Fear

For He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, 
and allows rain on the just and on the unjust. 
- Matthew 5:45

.

Fear can be a very real part of life, a personal struggle, even for the most steadfast Christian. We live in a fallen world, and though we know that God doesn't send us trials, He does allow them to happen, and this unknown can be hard to live with. There is a struggle for the Christian, because we know God is good, and with us everywhere we go, but we also know that bad things happen in this life.

"The rain falls on the just and the unjust."

.

I don't think I've ever been more aware of this struggle until I had Katelyn. Every night when I lay my baby girl in her crib, shut off her light, and have to walk away and leave her there alone, I feel the struggle. When I snuggle her close, and feel as if my heart is bursting with love and the need to protect her, I feel the struggle. When I try to shut my mind off, and fall asleep myself, I feel the struggle.

I don't struggle because of an unbelief that God is with her. I don't struggle because of an unbelief that God is good. I don't struggle due to lack of scripture meditation or prayer. I struggle because I know I live in a fallen world, and bad things happen, even when I believe in my good God with my whole heart.

Bad things happen, even when we have faith.

.

So how do we live with the struggle? What do we do in order to not be overcome by fear?

God never promised that the Christian life would be easy, He never promised a trial-free, pain-free life. But what God did promise, was to be with us, and to give us victory, even in the face of heartache.


"O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" 
- 1 Corinthians 15:55


"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!" 
- John 16:33


"For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” 
- Isaiah 41:17


"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” 
- Deuteronomy 31:8


We are able to overcome the fear, and the pain that we face, because our ultimate hope is in Christ, and we know He is going before us, and will be with us through every trial. 

I am able to kiss Katelyn goodnight, swallow the pit in my throat, and trust that the God who does not sleep is watching my baby girl when I can't, and He loves her, and is her God too. These promises in scripture for me, are for her too, and she will be safe in His arms, whatever may come. 

We live in a scary world, and if I think about it for too long, or dwell on the problems knocking at my door, it is easy to be overwhelmed. But as a Christian, I am able to live in security, because I know that in the end, Christ already won, and there is nothing on this earth that can truly break me, because my salvation is secure, and the salvation of those I love. 

Any pain we experience here on earth is but momentary, in comparison to eternity, and the hope we have waiting for us. 

God does allow pain, suffering, death, and heartache to enter our lives. But even through those times His love for us does not fail. 

We are able to overcome the fear, place it in the back of our minds, knowing that God is with us, and whatever comes, He will see us through. 

He is our hope. He is our comfort. He is the cure for fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment