Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Example of Martha

 But the Lord said to her, "My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! - Luke 10:41

.

Andrew's sermon today was from the story of Mary and Martha, focused on Mary, and her true heart of worship, by washing Christ's feet with her hair and perfume. Mary was shown as an example for us: are we giving our best to God? Are we devoted to him, and giving him our everything? This example of Mary is always followed up by Martha's failure, as she was chastised for working and rushing about instead of sitting at the feet of Jesus, and soaking in His teachings. 

.
 
I always feel bad for Martha, because like so many others in scripture who were made examples of, sometimes I think she gets a bad rap. I may think this, though, because I am so much like Martha, my heart wants to protect her from criticism.

I want to rush to her aide, and say: "Wait now! Martha was serving and loving Jesus in the way she knew best! She was making sure He was comfortable, had food and drink, made sure her home was clean and tidy to receive her LORD! She was doing what she knew to do, she worked to make everything perfect!" 

I want to protect her, because I would want someone to protect me. I would want someone to be able to see me in that situation, and know, that despite my running around and perfecting, I am doing what I know to do in order to show my love.  

Have you ever thought about Martha in this way? She probably had OCD tendencies. She probably cared about planning ahead, being prepared for guests. She probably hated surprises and spontaneity. She probably was a perfectionist, and strove to keep everything in her home "just so." It was probably mentally hard for her to have her Savior just "drop in" on her. She felt unprepared.

I know what that's like. I do the same thing. I've been known to say that I have to clean up at night, just in case I died in my sleep, so whoever came to find me would not find my home messy. I wouldn't want to be caught off-guard, and dying unprepared certainly falls into that category! 

But, even though I want to defend Martha, in order to save myself, I can't do it. Remember, Jesus knows the intent of every heart, and He called Martha out: "You are worried and upset over all of these details!" Jesus knew that the task of caring for her home was becoming a sin for Martha, causing her to worry and fret. 

I've been there. Ask Andrew. Any time I feel unprepared for a guest, I get flushed, and upset. I may even threaten to cancel plans if I feel like I can't get things just perfect enough. I've always had the drive to be perfect, and that's fine, until it causes me to sin.

.

Matthew Henry writes in his commentary on this scripture: ..."She was cumbered about it; periespato—she was just distracted with it. Note, Whatever cares the providence of God casts upon us we must not be cumbered with them, nor be disquieted and perplexed by them. Care is good and duty; but cumber is sin and folly. She was then cumbered about much serving when she should have been with her sister, sitting at Christ’s feet to hear his word. Note, Worldly business is then a snare to us when it hinders us from serving God and getting good to our souls..."

This was the problem. In Martha's care for her home, and for her guests, she let worry take her over, and she sinned. She was doing what she knew to do, but she let it consume her. She let the action of doing, take over the true heart of worshiping, of giving to her Savior. 

.

Today's sermon was about Mary, but I think what I really needed to see today was the story of Martha. Isn't it funny how sometimes we may be told one thing, but God intends for us to hear another? 

Maybe you're like Martha, maybe you let the stresses of life take you over, take your focus off of Christ, and a true heart of worship. Maybe you're like me, and the drive for perfectionism has caused you to become burdened. 

Let's lay them down tonight. Let's let these words of Jesus sink in: "My dear Martha" Jesus knew, He knew her heart, knew her original intent, and even in her failure, Christ was still drawing her in. Jesus loved Martha, and wanted to help her understand her mistake. He was gentle to her, and lovingly corrected her. 

Jesus will do the same for you and I, no matter what sin it is. He will draw you to Himself and love you, right where you are today.


No comments:

Post a Comment