Saturday, February 22, 2014

We Ought to Know Better

"If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, 
it is sin for them." 
- James 4:17

.

I'm not sure there's anything as humbling as becoming a parent. In every situation you are watched, questioned, scrutinized, and whatever you do - kids remember, at least, they do at 10 & 12. 

The stage of life our girls are in requires a lot of life-learning stuff. They've already learned the basics of personal care that toddlers and pre-schoolers need to learn. They've already learned  how to be a good friend, and take care of their things (on good days) like elementary students learn, and now…they're on the verge of becoming little ladies, and they need to learn how to be good people. They need to learn life lessons, you know: dealing with a bruised heart, having a good work ethic, being responsible with your time and money, and following God's path. As I've been starting to teach the girls these things, again, I am reminded at how important it is for my own example to be a good one for them.  

It's a common response in our home, when the kids have done something they knew not to do, for me to say: "Don't you know better than that?" "Haven't I taught you what to do?" or "You're old enough to not do this"….typical things that most parents say when they're frustrated. 

Today's lesson for the girls, was helping out without having to be asked. After getting in trouble for leaving a mess, Abby responded: "But nobody told me to pick up the mess!" She thought she'd be able to talk herself out of it, but I responded: "Did you know you weren't supposed to leave a mess behind?" Her response: "Yes", and mine: "Then whose fault is it that you're in trouble?"

.

Today's scripture came to mind as I was dealing with Abby…


"If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, 
it is sin for them." 

And when I said parenting was humbling earlier, here is why: As I am teaching our girls these lessons, and repeating myself day after day, I'm reminded of how closely this story illustrates our relationship with God, and how God has to tell me the same things I am telling my girls.  

Daily God has to remind me what to do, and what not to do. And when God tells us not to do something, we need to listen. When we disobey God, it's a little more serious than the girls doing something they shouldn't, The Bible actually calls it a sin. 

(Oh, boy. Michelle just brought up the "S" word. That's right folks, we sin. You better get used to that. You better accept it now, because sin is very real, and it doesn't escape any of us. We all sin.) 

Webster's defines sinning as: "Anything that violates God's will." and "A willful or deliberate violation of God's law"

When we, as God's children, as Christians, know to do something, and don't do it, we are sinning against God, we are violating His will. 

.

When I'm teaching the girls a lesson, I tell them, keep practicing, keep doing the right thing, and soon enough, it will become habit. 

In our walk with Christ, we need to be doing the same thing: making habit out of doing what God has said is good, and turning away from the things He's told us are bad. When doing good becomes a habit, it will be natural for us to do what we need to do, because we have learned to walk in God's will. 

Following Christ takes deliberate decision, deliberate action, and we are held accountable for our actions, just as a child is who disobeys. 

Today's verse is a good reminder for us, that God requires us to do good, and to follow His will. 

We are without excuse, we ought to know better. 

1 comment: